Skip to main content

Parent and Carer Support


On this page you will find information relating to services who can provide advice, guidance and support for parents/carers of children and young people with disabilities.  The County Council may be able to provide support following an assessment but there are also external organisations and services that you can contact for further support.

Am I a Carer?

You are a carer if you provide unpaid support to a family member, neighbour or friend. They may have support needs for a variety of reasons, which includes illness and disability. Find out more on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

Nottinghamshire County Council Carer Assessment and Support

What support can a carer request?

When your child turns 18 you have a right to ask for a Care Act carers assessment. This will look at the impact that caring has on you and the support you may need.

Before your child turns 18 you can request an assessment for access to support. The needs of parents and carers will be considered within a child and family assessment at the time the request is made for a carer’s assessment. This is a holistic assessment that take’s in to account the whole family’s needs and circumstances but primarily focuses on the child and considers support for parents based on the needs of their child.

There is further information on support for carers on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

If you do think you need more help and support as a carer please contact Nottinghamshire Council's Customer Services Team.

Nottinghamshire Parent/Carer Forum (Notts PCF)

Notts PCF is the voice for parent and carers across Nottinghamshire

It is an independent organisation that is run by volunteer parent carers.

It talks with the providers of education, health and social care services so that it can represent the views of families with children or young people with an additional need and/or disability. In this way it works to shape the services so that they better reflect the needs of these children and young people and their parent carers.

Any parent carer of a child or young person aged 0-25 with SEND who lives or recieves services in Nottinghamshire can join Nottinghamshire Parent Carer Forum. In this way they can get their voice heard and when combined with other parent carer voices it will be a stronger voice. 

Notts PCF will ensure parents, carers and families of young people with additional needs or disabilities are able to participate in the development and delivery of their services by:

  • Developing peer support and group participation
  • Information sharing
  • County wide consultation feedback
  • Empowering parents and carers to have an understanding and active voice in local, regional and national government agendas.

Contact details:

Contact name: Georgina Palmer

Tel: 07751 776481


Website: Nottinghamshire Parent Carer Forum

Parent/Carer Support Groups and Organisations

You can find details of parent/carer support groups and organisations on the SEND Local Offer website by clicking here Parent/Carer Support or by clicking on the icon below:


Support around Specific Conditions and Disabilities

You can find details of services who offer support around specific conditions and disabilities on the SEND Local Offer website by clicking here Support for Conditions and Disabiliites or by clicking on the icon below:

specific conditions and disabilities










Expert Parent Training Programme

The Expert Parent Programme is an e-learning programme deisgned by the Council for Disabled Children to help parents and carers to navigate the health system. It will enable you to understand your rights as a parent and provide useful guidance and advice on how to get the best for your child.

Council for disabled children Logo

The modules include:

  • Understanding the NHS structure
  • Personal Health Budgets
  • Making a complaint
  • Learning disabilities and behaviour that challenges
  • National Deaf Children's Society
  • CAMHS and other mental health support services

To access the training please go to the Council for Disabled Children website.


Carers Benefits

Council for disabled children Logo

If you are a carer of a disabled child or young person you may be entitled to certain benefits such as Carers Allowance or Carers Credit.

For further advice and support on your entitlements as a carer you can contact the following organisations:

Carers UK

Telephone: 0808 808 7777 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm) or

Carers Trust

Tel: 0300 772 9600 or Email:

Parenting Podcasts

BBC Radio Humberside produces a help and useful podcast called 'All Aboard the spectrum'. Conversation and advice by parents of autistic children for parents of autistic children, with Fiona Mills and Cheryl Wilkinson.

Parenting and the pressures of relationships

BBC Radio Humberside - All aboard the spectrum

All Aboard the Spectrum





For more episodes please click here BBC Sounds - All aboard the spectrum - Available Episodes

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or: Contact us | Nottinghamshire County Council

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020