Skip to main content



'Transition' is the process when a young person is preparing to move towards adulthood. 

Parents/Carers and their young person may find this a challenging and difficult time particularly when additional learning needs are part of the equation. Successful transition is vital to the child /young person's emotional development and therefore careful planning is required.

This page will provide you with information on the process of transitioning to adult services.

Nottinghamshire's Transitions Pathway for Young People with SEND

Nottinghamshire County Council have developed a transitions pathway to provide, information, advice and guidance on what should be happening at different stages as a young person makes their way towards adulthood. It also contains a range of information once a young person becomes an adult including employment and training opportunities, post 16 education and independent living. The pathway is fully interactive and has an introductory video to explain how you can use it and get the best out of it. To access the pathway please click here for the Local Offer website or on the pathway picture below:

Transition pathway

Nottinghamshire's Transition Protocol

You can read Nottinghamshire's multi-agency transitions protocol here or by clicking on the icon below:

Nottinghamsire's Transition Protocol

Nottinghamshire County Council - Transferring to Adult Social Care Services

What happens if I need on-going support when I turn 18?

If you need continued care and support when you turn 18 you will move from children's social care services to adult social services. You will need to complete a Care and Support Assessment to see if you are eligible for care services as an adult. Find out further information on Nottinghamshire County Council's website.

Usually, your school or the children's social care services will recognise your need for an assessment and make a referral to Notts County Council. If not, then you can contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.

What is a Care and Support Assessment for?

The assessment will decide if you are eligible for care and support. It will also detail the transition to adult services plan and will include outcomes, views and wishes that matter to you. If you have been assessed as eligible for care and support, a care and support plan will need to be created. The purpose of the plan will be to decide how your assessed eligible needs will be met and to put you in control of your care. Find out further information on Nottinghamshire County Council's website.

What do I need to do if I need ongoing help with equipment/adaptations at home?

If the Integrated Children's Disability Service (ICDS) Occupational Therapy Team is currently working with you, they will make a referral to the Adult Occupational Therapy Service 28 days before your 18th birthday and a worker from both the Children's and adult's team will work together to help you have as smooth as transition as possible. Your ICDS OT worker can give you a "17+ leaflet" about the Occupational Therapy transitions process. Find out further information and contact details on the Local Offer website.

You can find out further information on the Local Offer website and/or you can read the Adult's OT Factsheet.

Notts Help Yourself Website

The Notts Help Yourself website also provides a wide range of information on adult social care including help in your home and the community, equipment and living aids, suport for carers, housing needs and financial advice.

How can I access further advice and information on adult social care support?

If you need further advice and information on accessing adult social care support you can contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.

Transferring to Adult Health Services

What is the difference between children's and adult health services?

Here are some useful points and tips about transferring to adult health services:

  • One of the main differences between children's and adult health services is the amount of independence you will be given.  This means that you will need to learn about your condition, so that you can be more involved in your care and make decisions for yourself.
  • You will be given information about your condition and know how to keep yourself well.  Although this can be scary, it is also good to have more control over your health and the care you are given.
  • When you are asked to make decisions about your health, you will be given all the information you need to make the right choice.  you can always ask questions and let the health staff know if you are not sure about anything.  They will make sure that you understand everything that might be involved.  If there is something you are not sure of you can always ask them to write it down for you.
  • Although you, rather than your parents or carers, will be asked to make decisions, you can still ask their advice before making your choice.
  • During appointments or admissions, doctors, nurses and other staff should spend more time talking to you rather than to your parents.  Lots of people take family members, carers or friends along for support at important appointments.
  • If you go into an appointment on your own, you can still ask your parents/carers for advice on what questions to ask before you go into the clinic room.  It can sometimes be useful to bring a written list of questions with you to appointments.
  • If you are admitted to an adult hospital, you might not be able to have someone stay overnight with you.  Although the visiting times might be shorter, your family, carers and friends will still be able to visit you and speak to you on the telephone.

Is there further information available on transferring to adult health services?

The NHS offer information and guidance regarding transferring from children's to adult health services, which includes mental health services, and this can be accessed on the NHS website.

Support in hospitals

There are Learning Disabilities Nurses in the hospitals.  They help people with a learning disability to:

  • understand about their health
  • understand their treatment
  • prepare for hospital visits and hospital stays
  • make sure things go well in hospital

They also help hospital staff to understand the needs of people with learning disabilities.

Contact details:

  • Queens Medical Centre and City Hospitals - 0115 924 9924 ext 62562
  • Kings Mill Hospital - 01623 622515 ext 6091
  • Bassetlaw Hospital - 01909 502933
  • Derby Hospital - 01332 340131 ext 88611
  • Chesterfield Hospital - 01246 516261

Community Learning Disability Teams (CLDTs)

Community Learning Disability Teams include a wide range of health and social care specialists such as: Social Workers/Community Care Officers, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists and Nurses.

The Specialist Learning Disability Nurses based in the teams will provide information and advice to adults with learning disabilities covering a wide spectrum of health related issues. Find out more on the NHS website.

The team provide specialist assessment, advice, treatment and support services for adults with a learning disability and their carers.

Across Nottinghamshire County Council, there are seven community teams based in:

  • Ashfield
  • Bassetlaw
  • Broxtowe
  • Gedling
  • Mansfield
  • Newark
  • Rushcliffe

For further information please visit Nottinghamshire County Council's website.

If you have Asperger's Syndrome and live in Nottinghamshire there is a variety of support available from individuals and local organisations.  The Council also has an Asperger's Team and you can find out more on Nottinghamshire County Council's website.

Easy read guides

You can find out information on the Easyhealth website on a range of health topics in an easy read format, from asthma to going into hospital to X-rays.

Nottinghamshire County Council - Preparing for Adulthood Team

What does the service do?

Nottinghamshire County Council have a Preparing for Adulthood Team, which is made up of Social Workers and Community Care Officers who provide planning, assessment, advice and support services for young people preparing for adulthood. They work with young people who have an impairment and require social care support that cannot be accessed through community services already in place.

The Preparing for Adulthood Team can work with young people whether they have received services from children's social care or not.

The team works with young people to help them be as independent as possible. This might be through community support, short term support, specialised support including support into employment and/or any assistive technology.

The Preparing for Adulthood Team can help with:

  • being independent;
  • being part of the community;
  • getting the right support;
  • giving support to carers including short breaks;
  • helping with safety and risks.

Age range

Young people can be referred to the Preparing for Adulthood Team between the ages of 14yrs-17.5yrs. If a young person is older than 17.5yrs, at the time they are referred, the referral will be passed to the relevant adult team.

Who can make a referral to the team?

Referrals can be made by anyone including parent/carers, person's GP, education support providers or community services.

How do I make a referral?

To contact the team you will need to call the Council's Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 80 80 (open Monday to Friday 08:00am to 6:00pm).

Further information

For further information you can click on the following link: Moving to Adult Services or watch the video below:

Nottinghamshire County Council - Planning a Transition Good Practice Guide and Tips for Parents/Carers

You can read a planning a transitions guide for parents/carers, which includes information on young people moving to post 16, and/or quick read transition tips for parents/carers or by clicking on the icons below:

Panning a Transition Guide - Information for parents/carers                       Quick read transition tips for parents of children with SEN

Transitions - Useful contacts and resources

Preparing for Adulthood - Support Tool

The organisation Preparing for Adutlhood (PfA) has produced a useful support tool for families. You can also access this by clicking on the icon below:

Preparing for Adulthood Support Tool








Kids - Preparing for Adulthood Guide

The organisation Kids have produced a useful guide on transitions for young people or you can read this by clicking on the icon below:

Kids Preparing for Adulthood Guide








Council for Disabled Children - My Future Choices

My Futures Choices magazine is a free magazine from the Council for Disabled Children for disabled young people, their families and people who support them. Included in each issue are stories on health, education, employment, friends and activities. All of the stories are written by young people themselves and gives an opportunity to share with other young people how they have successfully transitioned into adulthood. You can read the magazine on the Council for Disabled Children website.

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020