Health and Happiness | Nottinghamshire Help Yourself Skip to main content

Health and Happiness

Looking after yourself is really important and we want to give you all the support you need to keep as physically, mentally emotionally healthy as possible.  We recognise that everyone is different and will have a wide range of health and well-being needs.  Therefore, we will support you to access the health and well-being services and activities that are right for you. 

Your health and wellbeing

We'll support you to look after your health and wellbeing.

Your personal adviser can help you with anything to do with your health and well-being.  They’ll also have information about the health professionals who already support you. For example, who your doctor (GP) and dentist are, along with more specialist workers if you have them, such as mental health experts.

If you have a health condition and regularly see a health worker, that worker will support you to make sure you have your needs met by adult health services when you turn 18.

If you’re having support from CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services), your worker will support you to access adult mental health services, if you need them. 

Your health needs and history

We’ll give you information about your health needs, and health history.

When you leave care we’ll give you a summary of your health needs and your medical history in a document called your “Important Health History”.

You’ll have a say on what you think your health needs are, and you and your health worker will agree how they will be met when you turn 18.  This, along with information from your last annual health assessment and your Leaving Care Review will feed into your Pathway Plan.  This will include what you need to look after your physical, mental and emotional health after you’ve left care. This is to make sure you get the support you need.    

Local services and support

There is a range of health services and support available to help you.  Go to LINK and you will find a description all the types of physical and mental health and well-being services available, as well as the information on how to contact them if you need to. 

Your personal adviser can help you to do this if you need them to.  

Healthcare charges

If you are under 19 and in full-time education, on a low income, receiving benefits, a lone parent, sick and/or disabled it is likely that you won’t have to pay many NHS charges such as for medication or dental treatment.

You may have to apply for discounts or exemptions from charges through the NHS Low Income Scheme  In some cases we may be able to help you by paying for additional charges that aren’t covered by exemptions. 

Ask your personal adviser for more information on this or look at page 24  LINK

Your emotional and mental health

It is normal to experience changes in your mood and behaviour, particularly at times of stress and emotional upset.

If these changes continue to affect you there is a range of services that can help.

If you’re not sure what service you need or would like some help to access them, ask your personal adviser for advice.

Psychological therapy services:

Psychological therapy services offer assessment and treatment for emotional health and wellbeing, and are often known as talking therapies. You can refer yourself directly to a psychological therapy service for problems like stress, anxiety, depression, OCD, trauma and phobias.

In Nottinghamshire there are three different services, and you can access any one of them:



Kooth counselling: is an online counselling service for young people aged up to 25. It is a safe, confidential and non-stigmatised way for you receive free counselling, advice and support on-line from fully trained and qualified counsellors. Go to to find out more.



Your GP will offer advice and support around your mental health. They can also help identify if you need help from specialist adult mental health services, and support you to access these.


You Know Your Mind:

‘You Know Your Mind’ is a project that seeks to give you more choice and control over how you can improve your mental health - in recognition that only you will know what works for you. Your Personal Advisor can discuss this option with you and can refer you into the project on your behalf.

Let's Live Well in Rushcliffe

If you live in Rushcliffe, this programme will help you to connect to local groups, activities and places to help you improve your wellbeing. You will also be supported by a Health Coach who will discuss an action plan that focuses on what matters to you.  Contact 07909 890 699 or Or you can ask your GP or personal adviser to refer you.   


Voluntary and Community Sector-run mental and emotional health services and support

 We R Here:

Offer free counselling and support for anyone who has experienced a traumatic life experience.  They  also run self-esteem courses and practical support in times of crisis.  You can call them on 0115 920 6241 or 07891 306 972 or visit their website.  Or you could ask your personal adviser or other worker to contact them for you

Contraception and sexual health

Using the right contraception helps you avoid unplanned pregnancies. You should talk to a health worker about contraception, you can get advice and contraception from your Doctors (GP), your local sexual health service, and some pharmacies (visit to check). Contraception is free on the NHS. 

The C Card scheme is a free condom and sexual health advice service for young people aged up to 25. It allows young people to gain access to condoms, lubricants and advice on sex, STI’s and relationships. You can access the service via


Looking after your sexual health is important. Nottinghamshire sexual health services are open access, free, and confidential. In Nottinghamshire, your local sexual health service depends on where you live, you can find out more about each service and how to access it via their website or by calling the service.


  • If you live in north Nottinghamshire (Bassetlaw)

Tri Health Bassetlaw

Tel: 01909 506418


  • If you live in Mid Nottinghamshire (Mansfield, Ashfield, Newark and Sherwood)

My Sexual Health

Tel: 01623672260


  • If you live in south Nottinghamshire (Broxtowe, Gedling, Rushcliffe) and Nottingham City

NUH Sexual Health Service

Tel: 0115 9627627

Health for teens

Health for teens website in Nottinghamshire provides information on health and wellbeing for teenagers including sexual health, sexuality, relationships, drugs & alcohol, feelings & lifestyle. You may find some of the information useful

Other support

If you like to exercise to improve your physical and mental well-being, you might be interested to hear that some of our council-run leisure centres (which have gyms, fitness classes and swimming pools) give discounts or free membership to care leavers and/or those on benefits or low incomes.  See the detailed information on what’s available in your district below on page 32LINK

 If you’d like them to, your personal adviser can also support you to

  • register with a doctor, dentist and other health services when you move home
  • attend hospital or doctor appointments
  • access substance misuse support
  • register for a C-Card (for access to free contraception)

If you have a disability

If you have a disability your social worker will start to work with you, usually from around the age of 16, (it can be later) to look at what might be the best housing options for you when you leave care.  They may get in touch with the Transition Team within our adult social care service and, if needed, the relevant health services, to make sure you have all the support you need to keep you healthy, happy and safe after you turn 18.  If appropriate, you will be introduced to a new worker who will support you from 18.  You are also entitled to the Offer detailed in this document.  


Stopping smoking gives you better health for life. For support to stop smoking contact Smokefreelife by texting QUIT to 66777 or by phoning 0800 2465343 or 0115 772 2515. 

Healthy eating and healthy weight

Part of staying healthy is eating a healthy diet, getting enough exercise and being a healthy weight. If you have concerns about your weight you can get support from ChangePoint Nottinghamshire by calling 0333 005 0092 or visiting

Drugs and alcohol


Taking drugs can have serious consequences, and their effects vary from person to person. If you are worried about drug use, get support from New Directions Nottinghamshire. You can call them on 0115 896 0798 or email them on Find out more here


If you are worried about drinking, get support from New Directions Nottinghamshire. You can call them 0115 896 0798 or email them on Find out more here You can also find out more information about drinking alcohol, including how to drink responsibly, here:


Doctors, also known as GP’s, look after the health of people living in their local area, and deal with a whole range of health problems.

To find a doctor (GP) near to where you live, go to NHS Choices and click “Find a GP”. Once you have found a doctors surgery near to where you live, visit them and ask to register. You’ll need your NHS number (which can be found on your important health information), some ID, and the name and address of your last doctor/GP (this can also be found on your Important Health Information document). They may not know that you are a care leaver, so it would be useful to tell them.  Your personal adviser can help you register with a GP.

If you need medicines you’re given a prescription from the doctor to take to a pharmacy. You may not have to pay for prescriptions if you are a student, or on benefits.  You would need to complete an “exemption form”, and your doctor’s (GP) surgery or pharmacy will be able to help you with this. Your personal adviser can also help you with this. Otherwise, you will have to pay to collect the medicine you’ve been prescribed.


Pharmacies are trained to help with many common health problems and minor injuries, including coughs and colds, aches and pains and skin rashes. They can give advice and ‘over the counter’ medicines or treatments, which you pay for. If you are given a prescription for medication by the doctor, you can take this to any pharmacy and they will dispense (give you) your medication. You can find a pharmacy near to where you live, by going to

NHS 111

NHS 111 is a 24/7 confidential telephone helpline that can help you with concerns about your health. You can find out more here:

If you need health care outside of normal working hours (which are Monday to Friday daytimes) you should dial 111 to contact your local NHS Out of Hours health service. The staff at 111 will help you get the care you need. If you need help now, but it’s not an emergency, call 111. If it’s an emergency, always call 999. 


To find a dentist near to where you live, go onto NHS Choices and click “Find a dentist”. Phone or visit the dentist you have chosen and ask to register as an NHS patient. Under the NHS, you might have to pay for some check-ups and treatments. If you’re not sure, your personal advisor will be able to help you. 


You can go to a local, high street optician and have an NHS eye test.  They are free up to the age of 19 if you are in full time education. After that, you may have to pay for sight tests and glasses, if you need them. Ask your personal advisor, as they will be able to help you with this and looking into whether you are entitle to any help with dentist and opticians charges.  You may have to apply for discounts or exemptions from charges through the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Let's Live Well in Ruschliffe

If you live in Rushcliffe, this programme will help you to connect to local groups, activities and places to help you improve your wellbeing. You will also be supported by a Health Coach who will discuss an action plan that focuses on what matters to you.  Contact 07909 890 699 or or you can ask your GP or personal adviser to refer you.   

NHS Choices

NHS Choices is a website aimed at everyone. By searching NHS choices you can find information on everything from the common cold and sickness to symptoms of sexually transmitted infections, information about contraception, and help to identify the symptoms of depression. 

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited