Skip to main content

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a brand new WORKING AGE benefit system.

From the 14 November 2018 individuals from Gedling making a NEW claim for any of the benefits listed below must claim Universal Credit.

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance

With Universal Credit, you will receive 1 monthly payment, in arrears, which will include an amount to pay your rent.

Universal Credit Checklist

You Will Need:

  1. To get online and have access to a computer, tablet or smartphone
  2. To visit to find out more
  3. An email address
  4. Photo ID or visit GOV.UK Verify to support your claim
  5. To open a bank account to receive and make payments
  6. Your tenancy agreement and proof of current rent

Things to Be Aware Of

  • You will be paid monthly in arrears - you can request an
  • advance payment.
  • You need a monthly budget in place to cover rent, essential bills
  • and day-to-day expenses. If you are struggling, speak to your
  • Work Coach.
  • You make the rent payment direct to your landlord - if you’re
  • worried about paying your rent speak to your landlord now.
  • You will have to claim help with your council tax separately to
  • Gedling Borough Council – online or ask at Reception.

For further information and advice?

We’re here to help, so don’t struggle. You can contact the Universal Credit Service Centre on the free phone helpline 0800 328 5644, speak to your Work Coach and visit

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited