Skip to main content

Social Care Support

Help and Support


Social care is the provision of social work, personal care, protection or social support services to children or adults in need or at risk. On this page you will find a range of social care support services who offer support to children and young people with needs arising from illness or disability.

Nottinghamshire's Pathway to Provision

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What is the pathway to provision?

The Pathway is Nottinghamshire's multi-agency approach to assessing the needs of children and young people and the level of support that they may need. It is recognised that children, young people and their families may have different levels of need and also that these needs may change over time.

There are four levels, which seperate the different levels of needs and the types of services that can be accessed at each level:

Universal (Level 1) - Children and young people who are achieving expected outcomes and have their needs met within universal service provision without any additional support.

Early Help (Level 2) - Children and young people where some concerns are emerging and who will require additional support usually from professionals already involved with them.

Targeted Early Help (Level 3) - Children and young people who are causing significant concern over an extended period or where concerns recur frequently.

Specialist (Level 4) - Children and young people who are very vulnerable and where interventions from Children's Social Care are required. This would include child protection cases where children are at risk of harm.

Can children/young people move between levels?

Yes. It is important to recognise that children and young people will move between the different levels as their needs change, for example from Level 4 to Level 3 or from Level 2 to Level 1.

Is the pathway provision used by all professionals?

Yes. The model provides a framework in Nottinghamshire to develop a common understanding amongst practitioners of children and young people’s needs and their vulnerabilities, shared assessment procedures and a platform for inter-agency and multi-agency working through the early help offer which includes early intervention and prevention and targeted support for young people.

What support would I be able to access at the different levels?

The type of support you can access would depend on your child's specific needs but here are some examples:

Level 1 - This could include GP's, schools, children's centres and Healthy Family Teams including health visitors and school nurses.

Level 2- This could include the support above but also services such as the  Early Help Unit.

Level 3 - This may include mainstream services where the child/young person does not have to have a disability such as the Family Service and CAMHS but there are also services specifically for children and young people with disabilities including the Integrated Children's Disability Service (ICDS) and the Specialist Support Team.

Level 4 - This would be support/services through the Children's Disability Service and would include children in need of specialist support, children in need of protection and children in need of care. Additional services at this level could include The CAMHS Children Looked After and Adoption Service, Fostering Support, Support After Adoption and the Youth Justice Service.

How do I access services and support?

If you need to make a request for a service for a disabled child you can contact the Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Services Team.

If you have any concerns for the safety or welfare of a child you should contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH):

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80 (Monday to Friday 08:30 to 5:00pm). Outside of these hours you will need to contact the Emergency Duty team on 0300 456 4546. In the event of an emergency call 999.

Further information

Further information on the pathway to provision including details on the levels and what services can be accessed you can read a Nottinghamshire Safeguarding Children Board leaflet or by clicking on the image below:

Pathway to Provision v9..JPG

Notts County Council - Early Help Unit

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What is the Early Help Unit?

The Early Help Unit provides a central contact point for families wanting to access early help services in Nottinghamshire. They can provide information and advice and will signpost to non County Council Services, as well as accepting referrals on behalf of Nottinghamshire County Council's early help services. This can include support around communication and behaviour.

What services and support can be accessed through the Early Help Unit?

Specific elements of this service include:

Children's Centre (under the age of 5):
• Universal services including play sessions and health support.
• More focused support with: challenging behaviour; communication difficulties (Home Talk Programme).
• Parenting programmes & interventions including: Strengthening Families; Incredible Years; 

Family Service provides early help support for children & young people aged 5 to 18 with needs including the following areas:
• Crime prevention via Youth Offending Teams
• Supporting Families (Troubled Families Programme)
• Missing children
• Homelessness
• Substance misuse
• Problems with attendance (including the prosecution of parents or carers)
• Defiant behaviour issues at home or school
• Emotional health difficulties that do not meet CAMHS criteria
• Support with finding work, training or re-entering education
• Young Carers

Age range

0-18 years

Who can make a referral?

Parents/carers can make a referral.

Contact Details

Telephone: 0115 8041248


The opening hours of the Early Help Unit are 9:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday.

Further Information

Find out more on the Local Offer website




Notts County Council - Specialist Support Team (Early Support)

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What does the service do?

The Specialist Support Team offers bespoke, individualised packages of support for children and young people from birth to their 18th birthday, either within their own homes or local communities, supported by trained / experienced  workers. We are registered and inspected by The Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The team provides:

  • Personal care needs assessment
  • Support to establish positive routines
  • Sleep support and advice
  • Overnight support in the home/ community, after a social care assessment
  • Specialist sitting (after assessment)
  • Community engagement / befriending
  • Group provision
  • Independance support / preparing for adulthood.

Age range

0 - 18

Who can refer to the service?

Parents/carers can make a referral to the service.

Contact Details

Name: Duty Point

Tel: 0115 804 1262


Further Information

Find out more on the Local Offer website

Notts County Council - Children's Disability Social Work Team

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What does the service do?

The Children's Disability Social Work Team is a specialist service for children/young people who have particularly complex needs and may include where there is a potential risk of family breakdown or where there are significant concerns for the child's safety or welfare.

An assessment will be completed to determine what support the child or young person may need. For the assessment a Social Worker will ask you and, wherever possible, your child some questions about: 

  • your child's development
  • how you look after your child
  • your wider family, community and environment. 

If the assessment shows that your child/ family needs support and help the team will develop a care and support action plan to show you how they can help.


Children with disabilities do not have an assigned social worker for the duration of their childhood. A Childrens Social Worker can be allocated for a number of reasons – this can be because of safeguarding concerns, or, for assessment to access support services. Once assessments have been made and support services started the social worker will end their involvement. When a Social Worker is allocated because of a safeguarding concern the social worker will only end support once these concerns have reduced – should concerns continue then the social worker will may consider further safeguarding procedures.

Can I make a referral to the service?

Usually your child's needs can be met by other services as part of a graduated approach, which may include education support or through the Early Support Services. However, to discuss a referral to the Children's Disability Social Work Team you will need to contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Services Team.

If you have any concerns for the safety or welfare of a child you should contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH):

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80 (Monday to Friday 08:30 to 5:00pm). Outside of these hours you will need to contact the Emergency Duty team on 0300 456 4546. In the event of an emergency call 999.





Notts County Council - Short Breaks for Disabled Children

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What is a short break?

A short break aims to provide children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) the opportunity to:

  • Try new activities and develop friendships
  • Access provision/service independently and with their families
  • Develop skills towards independence

It also gives families the opportunity to:

  • Have a break from their caring responsibilities
  • spend time with other members of their family

Is my child eligible for a short break?

Short breaks are for children with a disability aged 5 - 17 years (young people aged 18 or over will need to contact adult social care for support). To determine if your child may be eligible for a short break go to the short breaks section on the Local Offer website

How do I apply for a short break?

You will need to complete an online assessment form. If you do not have online access or feel unable to complete the assessment yourself, then support can be provided by Ask Us Nottinghamshire. For further details go to the short breaks section on the Local Offer website

Notts County Council - Overnight Residential Care for Disabled Children

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What is overnight residential care?

Overnight residential care is for children with substantial disabilities mainly in one of the Council's residential homes.

Will my child be eligible for overnight residential care?

There is a graduated response for children, young people and their families accessing overnight short breaks. Overnight short breaks are only offered by the department once preventative steps have proved unsuccessful at improving family life. The local authority will take steps to ensure that the least intrusive/restrictive form of support is provided to support family life.

The graduated tier for support will include, but is not exclusively defined to early support intervention, family service support, sitting and befriending support, personal care support, joint health care support, help from schools and access to play schemes / school holiday groups or activates.

There is no guarantee that overnight short breaks will be agreed. Children and young people will need to meet the criteria of the local authorities internal specialist residential homes in any event.

How do I access overnight residential care?

All young people are required to have a full assessment of need. You will need to contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Services Team to discuss this further.

Can I arrange overnight residential care directly with the homes?

Should the department not agreed that overnight support is needed, families can make contact with the homes and arrange to fund this without a social care assessment – providing that the criteria for the home is met. In this instance the agreement is directly between families and the residential provisions.


Caudwell House Tel: 01636 813170 or email:

The Big House Tel: 01623 822453 or email:

Minster View  Tel: 01636 815450



Notts County Council - Personal Care Support

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What is personal care?

Personal care is support in the home environment with dressing, washing and toileting.

Who can access this support?

The criteria for personal care support centres around assessed personal care tasks that require more than 2 people to complete. Personal care support is mainly offered to children at 5 years and over but, depending on a assessed need this can be offered this children under the age of 5 years.

How do I access personal care support for my child?

Referrals for a personal care assessment can be made directly with the Disabled Children's Early Support Services or via Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Services Team. This can also be completed as part of a social care assessment in which the social worker would make relevant referrals to the Specialist Support Team.

Specialist Suupport Team:

Telephone: 0115 804 1262 or E-mail:

Customer Services Team:

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80 (They are open Monday to Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm)



Notts County Council - Integrated Children's Disability Service Occupational Therapy Team (ICDS-OT)

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What does the service do?

The team provides specialist assessment for disabled children and young people resident in Nottinghamshire up to the age of 18, who have a permanent and substantial disability which has an adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities within the home environment.

Occupational Therapy aims to provide support and intervention to help children and young people with disabilities develop to their full potential, taking in to account the stage of development the child/young person has reached. It can assist with overcoming practical problems and maximising a child/young person's independence in their own home, as well as supporting parents/carers to care for their disabled child/young person safely.

Following assessment, the support from Occupational Therapy could include:

  • Assist in arranging minor alterations such as grabrails and second stair rails.
  • Assist in arranging essential major adaptations such as ramps, lifts or larger scale works. Funding of the adaptation work will depend on who owns the home - the OT worker will explain this and make any necessary recommendations to the relevant agency.
  • Support and advice on moving to a more suitable property to meet long-term needs.
  • Offering advice on managing everyday tasks, such as managing personal care and safe mobility around the home.
  • Assessing transfers and providing plans to promote safer moving and handling.
  • Providing specialist equipment on long term loan such as specialist cots/bed, bathing equipment and toileting equipment.
  • Specialist equipment on long term loan for children/young people who are Deaf/deafened/hearing impaired, blind/visually impaired, or have dual sensory impairment.

Age range

0 -18 years

Who can refer to the service?

Parents/carers and professonals (with consent) can make referrals to the service.

Contact Details

Name: ICDS Occupational Therapy Duty Officer

Tel: 0115 8041273


Referrals requesting an assessment are taken directly through the Occupational Therapy Duty point which operates daily 08:45-16:30 (excluding Bank Holidays).

Further information

Find out more on the Local Offer website


Equipment and Adaptations

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

You can find details of Organisations and Services who can support with equipment and adaptations on the Local Offer website or by clicking on the icon below: 

Wheelchair and Adaptations









How can I get a wheelchair?

Referrals can only be accepted from GP's, Therapists (Physio or OT), Community Nurses and Hospital Staff. Ask your health professional to refer you to your local wheelchair service for an assessment. You'll need to do this before you can get an NHS wheelchair.

The local wheelchair service will decide if you need a wheelchair and, if so, what type.

Personal Wheelchair Budgets

A personal wheelchair budget is a resource available to support people’s choice of wheelchair, either within NHS commissioned services or outside NHS commissioned services. Personal wheelchair budgets enable postural and mobility needs to be included in wider care planning and can support people to access a wider choice of wheelchair.

From 2 December 2019, people who access wheelchair services, whose posture and mobility needs impact their wider health and social care needs, will have a legal right to a personal wheelchair budget. Find out more on the NHS website

Wheelchair Services in Nottinghamshire

Mansfield Community Hospital - Stockwell Gate, Mansfield NG18 5QJ Tel: 01623 785076.

Mobility Centre Nottingham University Hospitals - Nottingham City Hospital on Hucknall Road, near Side Gate 3, Hucknall Road, Notttingham, NG5 1PB Tel: 0115 969 1169 ext 57581/57552 or email:

Bassetlaw District - Mobility & Specialised Rehabilitation Centre, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, S5 7AU Tel: 0114 27 15807

Notts County Council - Adult Social Care Support

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What happens if I need on-going support when I turn 18?

If you need continued care and support when you turn 18 you will move from children's social care services to adult social services. You will need to complete a Care and Support Assessment to see if you are eligible for care services as an adult. Find out more on the Notts County Council website.

Usually, your school or the children's social care services will recognise your need for an assessment and make a referral to Notts County Council. If not, then you can contact directly through the Customer Service Centre details below.

What is a Care and Support Assessment for?

The assessment will decide if you are eligible for care and support. It will also detail the transition to adult services plan and will include outcomes, views and wishes that matter to you. If you have been assessed as eligible for care and support, a care and support plan will need to be created. The purpose of the plan will be to decide how your assessed eligible needs will be met and to put you in control of your care. Find out more on the Notts County Council website.

What do I need to do if I need ongoing help with equipment/adaptations at home?

If the Integrated Children's Disbaility Service (ICDS) Occupational Therapy Team is currently working with you, they will make a referral to the Adult Occupational Therapy Service 28 days before your 18th birthday and a worker from both the Children's and adult's team will work together to help you have as smooth as transition as possible. Your ICDS OT worker can give you a "17+ leaflet" about the Occupational Therapy transitions process. Find out further information and contact details on the Local Offer website.

Find out further information about the Nottinghamshire County Council Adult Occupational Therapy Service please click on the Local Offer website and/or you can look at the Notts County Council Adult's OT Factsheet.

Notts Help Yourself Website

The Notts Help Yourself website also provides a wide range of information on adult social care including help in your home and the community, equipment and living aids, suport for carers, housing needs and financial advice.

How can I access adult social care support?

If you need to make a referral or for further advice and information on accessing adult social care support you can contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Services Team.


Personal Social Care Budgets/Direct Payments

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

If a child or young person (up to the age of 18) has had an assessment of need by social care they may be entitled to a direct payment to meet their specific needs if the assessment concludes that a social care service is needed.

For further information on direct payments including what they can be used and the advantages you can read the Notts County Council leaflet on Direct Payments or by clicking on the icon below:

Direct Payment booklet social care








You can read the Notts County Council personal budgets policy please click on the icon below:

Nottinghamshire County Council Personal Budget Policy

Personal Assistant Directory

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

What is a Personal Assistant?

A Personal Assistant (PA) is someone who is employed to provide everyday care and support. This may include personal and domestic care, support to get out and about, as well as other day to day activities. A PA can offer the most control over services as they are better able to support an individual’s specific needs and promote independence. 

The Nottinghamshire Help Yourself Website has a Personal Assistant Directory where you can search for Personal Assistant's who have completed the Nottinghamshire County Council's support with confidence programme. To access the directory please go to the Notts Help Yourself website.

Social Care Organisations and Services

You can access details of social care organisations and services on the Local Offer website or by clicking on the image below:

social care organisations and services

Safeguarding Children, Young People and Adults

Page last reviewed 28/01/2021

If you have any concerns for the safety and welfare of a child, young person or adult you will need to contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH). They are the County's first point of contact for safeguarding concerns, helping to protect the most vulnerable children, young people and adults from harm, neglect and abuse. Find out more on the Notts County Council website.

Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) Contact Details

Tel: 0300 500 80 90


Opening Times: Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 5:00pm, Fridays 8:30am - 4:30pm

Outside of office hours: You will need to contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on tel: 0300 456 4546

Nottinghamshire Police

In an emergency dial 999, if less urgent phone 101.

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020