Short Breaks-Other Support Available

This page contains links to useful organisations who can refer parents/carers and young people to a wide range of support in the community from information about local services and provides up to date practical advice on how to apply for benefits.

In addition, this page also contains a description of central government benefits available, designed for the parents/carers of children/young people with disabilities to help with extra costs incurred as a result of their disabilities, with links to the relevant websites

Nottinghamshire Parent Carer Forum (Notts PCF)

Nottinghamshire Parent Carer Forum (Notts PCF) is an independent parent carer led organisation run by volunteers who represent the views, experiences and ideas of families that live or access services in Nottinghamshire and have a child or young person with an additional need and/or a disability.

Notts PCF is an important source of information regarding the SEND offer in Nottinghamshire for parents/carers. Find out more on the Nottinghamshire Parent Carer Forum (Notts PCF website)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements available through the website

The DLA rate is between £22.65 and £145.35 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs.

Further information regarding eligibility, how to apply and rates of support can be found on the Government website

In addition to the guidance provided through the Government website, there are local and national support groups who can help with applications for benefits.

Contact for families with disabled children

Support families with the best possible guidance and information whatever their child’s disability.

For more information about Disability Living Allowance (DLA) click here

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

You may be able to get help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability, PIP is available for people aged 16 to 64, consequently this benefit will be of interest to the parents/carers of young people and young adults .

The PIP rate is between £22.65 and £145.35 a week and depends on how conditions affect the individual rather than the condition itself.

Individuals are assessed by a health professional to determine the support level with this being regularly reviewed to ensure that individuals receive the right level of support.

Further information regarding eligibility, how to apply, rates, and claim reviews can be found on the Government website

In addition to the guidance provided through Government website, there are local and national support groups who can help with applications for benefits.

Welfare Benefit Application Support

Nottinghamshire County Council provide information about the type of benefits available to residents to include:

  • Benefit title
  • Description of the benefit offered
  • Description of who can apply for the benefit offered

More detailed information is also provided for some of the most popular benefits including Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIP). Find out more on the Nottinghamshire County Council website. 

For further information go to Money Matters section on Preparing for Adulthood

Citizens Advice also provide advice on rights, including benefits and financial support. Find out more on the Citizens Advice website

Early Help Unit

The Early Help Unit provides a central contact point for families wanting to access early help services in Nottinghamshire. They can provide information and advice and will signpost to non County Council Services, as well as accepting referrals on behalf of Nottinghamshire County Council's early help services.

The opening hours of the Early Help Unit are 9:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday

Telephone: 0115 8041248 or email:

For more information click here

Children's Centre Services and Family Hub Network

A Children’s Centre is a place, or group of places, where local families with young children can go and enjoy facilities and receive support that they need. Sometimes support may be offered in the home.

The facilities and activities are designed especially for parents expecting a baby, or those with under 5's.

The staff are fully trained to deal with individual needs a child might have, and work with many partners to ensure they can support families in whatever area they need.

To find out more go to:Nottshelpyourself | Children's Centre Services and Family Hub Networks

Council for Disabled Children

The Council for Disabled Children is the umbrella body for the disabled children’s sector bringing together professionals, practitioners and policy makers.

The Council for Disabled Children has over 250 member organisations covering the width and breadth of the country and representing the full diversity of the disability sector.

The Council for Disabled Children is a useful source of help and resources for Parents/Carers. Find out more on the Council for Disabled Children website

Ask Us Nottinghamshire

Ask Us Nottinghamshire offer the following support services for parents/carers of children and young people with SEND:

  • Telephone helpline.
  • Face-to-face support.
  • In-depth casework support for parents including attendance at education-related meetings.
  • Support to request EHC Needs Assessment and with the EHCP process and appeals.
  • Advice and support relating to exclusions of children/young people with SEND.

Ask Us Nottinghamshire can be accessed via email: or tel: 0800 1217772

TuVida Carers Hub

TuVida provides timely, personalised information and support via the Nottinghamshire Carers Hub for residents of both the County and the City, where the Carers Hub can offer:

  • Information, advice and guidance
  • Signposting to other organisations and services
  • Access to Carers groups and drop-ins
  • Peer Support
  • Access to Carers Grants
  • Free training and caring support

The list above is not exhaustive, but gives an indication of the type of support which can be provided. Find out more on the TuVida website

Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)

The MASH is the county’s first point of contact for new safeguarding concerns and has significantly improved the sharing of information between agencies, helping to protect the most vulnerable children and adults from harm, neglect and abuse.

You can contact MASH team in various ways:

  • online form: concerned about a child
  • online form: concerned about an adult
  • telephone: 0300 500 80 90
  • fax: 01623 48329
  • if you wish to report a concern anonymously, please contact us on 0300 500 80 90.
  • In an emergency outside of office hours please call our emergency duty team on tel: 0300 456 4546.

Opening Hours:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30am to 5pm
  • Wednesday 10:30am to 5pm
  • Friday: 8:30am to 4:30pm

For further information go to: Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) | Nottinghamshire County Council

Page last reviewed: 13/02/2024

Skip back to top of page