Skip to main content

Independent and Supported Living


At this stage young people may start to think about where they would like to live. They may decide they would like to continue to live with their family and become more independent at home, or they may decide they would like the chance to try and live independently in the community. This page provides advice, guidance and links to sources of support for young people to make choices about living as independently as possible.

Housing Options and Choices


Your home and living circumstances should enable you to have as much independence as you can, whilst ensuring you have the right support to make this happen. Everbody needs a home, a place where they are able to do the things they like to do; somehwere they feel safe and secure, somewhere to be with friends or just to relax. This may be staying in your current home, looking at moving into your own home, supported accommodation or accessing schemes that help you to become more independent to move on.

What are the different options?

The following are some of the different options that may be available:

  • Staying in your own home - You may want to stay in your existing accommodation but make some changes to meet your needs and become more independent. This could be through support to enable you to become more independent such as budgeting and cooking or adaptating the property to make it more suitable for you through aids and adaptations.
  • Move on schemes - Some providers use the term 'move-on' for a type of service available through a supported housing arrangement. This is usually provided through a Local Authority or Housing Association. Move on accommodation can provide a young person with their first tenancy agreement. This is often a shared house but can be in single accommodation.
  • Living with another family: Shared Lives Schemes - In a shared lives scheme, you would live with a host family who have been checked to make sure they are trustworthy. You would live with, or near to, the host family. The family gives support and care. This can be a short-term or long-term arrangement.
  • Residential care and nursing homes - These are usually considered for people with a higher level of care they offer, due to the lower amount of independence they offer. A registered care home is a home that is set up for people who share a smiliar disability. This may mean there are alot of people living together, although some homes are small. Residents usually have their own bedrooom, and usually their own bathroom, but other parts of the home are shared between all residents. Nursing homes are similiar to residential homes but must have a registered and qualified nurse available 24 hours a day.
  • Getting your own home - This could include renting or buying a home. Renting means that you will pay someone else to live in a building they own. You can rent homes through a Council or housing association, a voluntary or charity organisation; A private landlord or letting agent or a family member, friend or someone you know. If you are buying a home, there are a number of ways you could own a home. For example, people can enter a shared ownership agreement, either with investment from the family, help to buy or buy a home together with a number of other people. They can also buy a home outright, should they have an inheritance or other money to do this with.

The No Place like Home Guide below discusses each of the above options in more detail, including the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Click on the icon below to open up the guide:

No Place Like Home Guide








Who can I contact to discuss support to live independently?

You can contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.

The following organisations can also offer advice and support around moving towards independent living:

Disability Rights UK - or Tel: 0330 995 0400

Preparing for Adulthood - or Tel: 01225 789135

Mencap - or Tel: 0808 808 1111

Scope -  or Tel: 0808 800 3333  

Frequently Asked Housing Questions

The Mencap website has a really useful section with frequently asked questions including the different types of housing options to consider.



Nottinghamshire Housing Support

Nottinghamshire's Housing Support Strategy sets out how Nottinghamshire County council works with partners to provide specialist housing support for adults aged 18-64 who have a long term illness and/or disability to enable them to live as independently as possible in their own home. The strategy includes the different housing options and support available. Read the Housing with Support Strategy here or by clicking on the icon below:

Nottinghamshire Housing with Support Strategy








How do I find out further information?

For further information on housing support from Nottinghamshire County Council you can find out more on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

Contact details:

If you need further information or support, you can contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.


Nottinghamshire County Council - Supported Living

What is the Supported Living Service?

Nottinghamshire County Council can provide support so you can live in your own home; we call this supported living.

Supported living is for people with a learning disability or mental health problem who want to live as independently as possible. We provide a range of care options to suit different levels of needs.

How does supported living work?

The County Council has a role in enabling and facilitating housing solutions. It has no direct duty to provide housing to individuals, however, under the Care Act, the Council does have a ‘responsibility to ensure that housing is suitable and meets the needs of an individual’ who has been assessed and is eligible for care and support.

To understand how much support you need the Council will carry out an assessment. If we agree supported living is the right option for you we will help you choose:

  • who you live with: you can live on your own or share with others
  • who provides your support: you can choose your support provider
  • where you live, you can live in a flat, share house or an intentional community. 

Age Range


How do I apply and find out further information?

You will need to contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.

You can find out more on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

Nottinghamshire County Council - Maximising Independence Service

Maximising Independence Service (MIS) – Enablement Teams

What are the objectives of Enablement?

Enablement is about supporting people to learn new skills that they have not had the opportunity to learn before, working towards and achieving goals that matter to them.

How do you introduce someone to Enablement Support delivered by a Promoting Independence Worker?

Individuals are commonly introduced to Enablement Support through District Teams following a Care and Support Assessment, or through the Customer Service Centre who may have been contacted directly by the individual, or by a family member or education provider. If the person is suitable for this type of support, they will be allocated a Promoting Independence worker.

What support do Promoting Independence Workers offer?

Promoting Independence workers typically work with people face-to-face, either in their own home or in the community on a 1:1 basis. Workers have a discussion with the individual to identify their personal goals.

They can help to develop people’s skills and confidence relating to several areas, including:

  • Independent Travel including to and from work
  • Shopping and accessing the community
  • Promoting Independence with Household Routines
  • Managing Finances and Household Bills
  • Meal Planning and Preparation
  • Transitioning to Adulthood
  • Undertaking voluntary or paid work

Promoting Independence workers do not offer support relating to personal care or ordering equipment.

How long do people typically receive support from Enablement Teams?

Enablement support can be provided for up to 12 weeks maximum but can be less depending on an individual’s needs and goals.

What outcomes would we hope that people achieve, having been supported by a Promoting Independence worker?

Enablement Teams hope to support individuals to achieve their desired personal goals and to increase their level of independence and confidence.

In supporting people to achieve their goals, the enablement teams hope to also improve an individual’s day to day lived experiences and allow them to access and benefit from a variety of new opportunities and experiences.

Where are the MIS Enablement Teams based?

  • The Maximising Independence Service Enablement Teams will work across the whole County but are made up of place-based teams – North, Mid and South Nottinghamshire.
  • The Enablement Teams were previously referred to as the Notts Enabling Service (NES)
  • These teams are now known as – MIS North Enablement, MIS Mid Enablement and MIS South Enablement  

Which other Teams do Enablement Teams work with?

  • Hospital Teams (not hospital discharge)
  • Living well
  • Ageing well
  • Other MIS Teams
  • Preparing for Adulthood

What staff roles work within the Enablement Teams?

  • Enablement Managers
  • Promoting Independence Workers
  • Community Care Officers MH


Eligibility and Referral Information

The service is open to any young person with disabilities aged 17 and over. 

To make a referral you will need to contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.


Nottinghamshire County Council Preparing for Adulthood Team - Independent Living Support

Nottinghamshire County Council Independent Living Support

The need for Independent Living is assessed by taking into account many factors such as the young person’s wishes, the family’s ability to continue to support the young person, the level of support available etc. There is a limited supply of independent living places and these are therefore only available to those young people and their families where staying at home is no longer an option.

The Preparing for Adulthood Team can undertake a Care and Support Assessment and a Carers Assessment and can take this to accommodation panel if this is felt to be appropriate. If Independent Living is agreed by panel, the Housing with Support Team are likely to become involved to try and find suitable accommodation with the appropriate level of support.

Who can make a referral to the team?

Referrals can be made by anyone including parent/carers, person's GP, education support providers or community services.

Age Range

Young people can be referred to the Preparing for Adulthood Team between the ages of 14yrs-17.5yrs. If a young person is older than 17.5yrs, at the time they are referred, the referral will be passed to the relevant adult team.

Who can make a referral to the team?

Referrals can be made by anyone including parent/carers, person's GP, education support providers or community services.

How do I make a referral?

To make a referral, you will need to contact  Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.

Further information

You can watch the video below:

Find out further information on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

Nottinghamshire County Council - Shared Lives Scheme

What is the Shared Lives Scheme?

Shared lives supports vulnerable people so they can live as independently as possible in the community.

Shared lives support can be delivered in several different ways: 

  • living in a carer's home: the person needing support may live in the carers own home and be supported in their everyday life. Sharing a carer's home can be to cover a short-term need (such as providing a break for a person's main carer) or a longer-term situation
  • day-time support: regular support sessions held in the carer's home
  • outreach support: the person needing support lived in their own home, a carer provide help as needed.

Who is the scheme for?

Shared lives is for people who:

  • need support to live in the community
  • are over 18
  • are eligible for social care services.

This includes people who have:

  • a learning disability
  • a mental health issue
  • support or care due to their age
  • a physical disabilit
  • other disabilities or impairments which cause them to be vulnerable or at risk.

How can I get support from Shared Lives?

You will need an assessment to see if you are eligible for support. For an assessment you will need to contact  Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team

If you have already had an assessment please contact your social worker to find out more about support.

Further Information

To find out more about Shared Lives support you can watch the video below or if you prefer you can contact  Nottinghamshire County Council's Customer Service Team.

Nottinghamshire County Council - Integrated Children's Disability Service (ICDS) Occupational Therapy Team

What does the service do?

The team provides specialist assessment for disabled children and young people resident in Nottinghamshire up to the age of 18, who have a permanent and substantial disability which has an adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities within the home environment.

Occupational Therapy aims to provide support and intervention to help children and young people with disabilities develop to their full potential, taking in to account the stage of development the child/young person has reached. It can assist with overcoming practical problems and maximising a child/young person's independence in their own home, as well as supporting parents/carers to care for their disabled child/young person safely.

Following assessment, the support from Occupational Therapy could include:

  • Assist in arranging minor alterations such as grabrails and second stair rails.
  • Assist in arranging essential major adaptations such as ramps, lifts or larger scale works. Funding of the adaptation work will depend on who owns the home - the OT worker will explain this and make any necessary recommendations to the relevant agency.
  • Support and advice on moving to a more suitable property to meet long-term needs.
  • Offering advice on managing everyday tasks, such as managing personal care and safe mobility around the home.
  • Assessing transfers and providing plans to promote safer moving and handling.
  • Providing specialist equipment on long term loan such as specialist cots/bed, bathing equipment and toileting equipment.
  • Specialist equipment on long term loan for children/young people who are Deaf/deafened/hearing impaired, blind/visually impaired, or have dual sensory impairment.

Age range

0 -18 years

Who can refer to the service?

Parents/carers and professonals (with consent) can make referrals to the service.

Contact Details

Name: ICDS Occupational Therapy Duty Officer

Tel: 0115 8041273


Referrals requesting an assessment are taken directly through the Occupational Therapy Duty point which operates daily 08:45-16:30 (excluding Bank Holidays).

Further information

You can find out further information on the SEND Local Offer website.

What do I need to do if I need ongoing help with equipment/adaptations at home?

If the Integrated Children's Disbaility Service (ICDS) Occupational Therapy Team is currently working with you, they will make a referral to the Adult Occupational Therapy Service 28 days before your 18th birthday and a worker from both the Children's and adult's team will work together to help you have as smooth as transition as possible. Your ICDS OT worker can give you a "17+ leaflet" about the Occupational Therapy transitions process. Find out further information and contact details on the SEND Local Offer website

You can find out further information about the Nottinghamshire County Council Adult Occupational Therapy Service on the SEND Local Offer website and/or you can look at the Adult's OT Factsheet.

Independent Living Organisations, Advice and Support

The following organisations can offer advice and support around moving towards independent living:

Disability Rights UK - or Tel: 0330 995 0400

Preparing for Adulthood - or Tel: 01225 789135

Mencap - or Tel: 0808 808 1111

Scope -  or Tel: 0808 800 3333  

The SEND Local Offer website has details of organisations who can support with independent living. Please click here or by clicking on the icon below:

Independent Living Organisations

Financial support for home and housing

The Government website GOV.UK has information on the different types of financial support available if you are disabled including housing and council tax benefits.

Disability Rights UK have useful information on benefits that are available to claim. You can also contact them for further advice:

Office Number: 0330 995 0400


Mencap have useful information on the range of benefits that are available and you can also contact them for further advice:

Their advisors are available from 9am to 3pm, Monday to Friday.

You can get in touch by:

Alternatively, you can contact them by completing this online form and they will get back to you as soon as they can.

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020