Trent Vale Infant and Nursery School

Trent Vale is a Local Authority maintained school providing an inclusive education for children age 3-7 years.

Last Updated

Record Last Updated On:

Contact Details

Contact Name
Mrs Kaye
Contact Position
Office Manager
0115 9179224 0115 9179224
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

Trent Vale Infant School
Trent Road
View on a map
Time, Costs and Availability

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Term time
Session Information
8.50 am - 3.20 pm for school aged children
8.45 - 11.45 am or 12.30 - 3.30 pm for nursery aged children.


Age Ranges
3 - 7 years
Referral Required?
Referral not required
Additional Local Offer Information

Local Offer


Trent Vale is a Local Authority maintained school providing an inclusive education for children age 3-7 years.

Please follow the link below, (Schools Extended Local Offer Response), to view our answers to the frequently asked questions about our provision for special educational needs.

Contact Telephone
0115 9179224
Contact Email

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

1. What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

At Trent Vale we actively include all pupils that are allocated a place at our school through the LA admissions procedure.  All children who are offered a place at Trent Vale Infant and Nursery School are accommodated according to their individual educational needs. Special educational needs generally fall into one or more of the following categories; Cognition and Learning, Communication and Interaction, Behaviour, Social and Emotional, Sensory and Physical and Anxiety Related Needs.

2. (For mainstream schools & maintained nurseries only) How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

If a child starting our school is already known to other SEN agencies within the Local Authority then they will inform us of a child's needs when they are allocated a place at our school. This information might also be provided by other local pre-school settings that a child attends or by the parents themselves. Detailed transition procedures will then be arranged to support their introduction to our setting.

At school we will know if a child needs extra help by our detailed assessment procedures including looking at a child's work and watching how they behave in school.

If you think your child may have special educational needs then please contact the school to discuss this with us.


3.a) How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

Any children at our school that have additional provision have their progress carefully monitored every half term. This allows us to evaluate the effectiveness of our provision and plan the next steps to support a child's learning.

3.b) How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

School will know how well your child is doing from their regular assessments of your child's progress. This will be shared with you at least every term at a pre-arranged meeting. At this meeting ideas will be shared of how to help you support theri learning. 

At Trent Vale we operate an 'open door' policy so if at any time your feel you need more information of how well your child is doing and how you can best support them then plese contact your child's class teacher.

3.c) What is the school's approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

At Trent Vale we have a graduated approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs. All pupils receive Quality First Teaching all of the time. If a pupils does have special educational needs their support will consist of a four part process of Assess; Plan; Do and Review. A child who has lifelong or significant difficulties may be referred for an Education, Health and Care Plan.

Please read our SEN policy on our website which describes this process in more detail.

. This policy is reviewed annually.

3.d) How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person's needs?

Using the four part process of Assess, Plan, Do and Review the curriculum is personalised for the individual needs of the child with special educational needs where necessary. The SENCO oversees this process to ensure the curriculum promotes the inclusion of all pupils.

3.e) How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

All pupils with SEND will have access to Element 1 and 2 of a school’s budget which equates to £6,000. Some pupils with SEND may access additional funding. This additional funding might be from a budget which is devolved to and moderated by the Family of Schools. (The Family of Schools comprises of a secondary school and its feeder primary schools). For those with the most complex needs, additional funding is retained by the local authority. This is accessed through the Family of Schools. The Family SENCO will refer individual applications to a multi-agency panel, which is administered by the Local Authority, who will determine whether the level and complexity of need meets the threshold for this funding. 

Resources are allocated at least termly, through discussion between the SENCO, the assessment coordinator, the pupil premium coordinator, class teacher, outside agencies and parents, taking in to account the full range of information available about an individual’s current progress and barriers to learning. Additional funding is applied for if the child meets the relevant criteria.   


3.f) How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

All pupils at Trent Vale have access to learning outside the classroom and extra-curricular activities including school trips. Arrangements to support a child with special educational needs to access these activities are discussed with the parents of each individual child.

3.g) What support will there be for my child/young person's overall well-being?

All children at Trent Vale are valued and supported as individuals. The class teacher monitors and supports each child's overall well-being on a daily basis. If they have any concerns this will be discussed with parents and the SENCO and  support from within school or outside agencies will be accessed if necessary.

4. (For mainstream schools and maintained nurseries) Who is the school/setting's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.

The SENCO at Trent Vale is Miss Gough. She can be contacted via the school.

5.a) What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

We aim to keep all school staff up to date with relevant training and developments in teaching practice in relation to the needs of pupils with SEN.

The SENCo attends relevant SEN courses, Family SEN meetings and facilitates/signposts relevant SEN focused external training opportunities for all staff.

We recognise the need to train all our staff on SEN issues. The SENCo, with the senior leadership team, ensures that training opportunities are matched to school development priorities and those identified through the use of provision management. 


5.b) What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

Trent Vale Infant and Nursery School invites and seeks advice and support from external agencies in the identification and assessment of, and provision for, SEN. The SENCO is the designated person responsible for liaising with the following:

  • Behaviour Support Service
  • Educational Psychologist service
  • Social Services
  • Speech and Language Service
  • Specialist Outreach Services
  • Health Services

Representatives from voluntary organisations and other external agencies are invited to liaison meetings throughout the year to discuss SEN provision and progress and keep staff up to date with legislation.

The SENCO accesses support from outside agencies through:

  • Termly Springboard meeting; this is the route to Schools and Family Support Services and Educational Psychologist
  • Referral according to the threshold benchmarks documented in the Pathway to Provision document to support agencies e.g. Early Help Unit for social care involvement
  • Referral to health agencies such as speech and language and emotional health and well-being services

The school continues to build strong working relationships and links with external support services in order to fully support our SEN pupils and aid school inclusion.


6. How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?

The school will access support from the Local Authority Schools and Family Support Services to ensure a child with special educational needs has the equipment they need to support their learning and they can access all necessary areas of the school.

The school is already very accessible. It is all on one level with ramps and appropriate toilet facilities. 

7. What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

All parents have many opportunities to be consulted about all aspects of school life through a range of questionnaires and consultation exercises. Parents of children with special educational needs are regularly consulted during the reviews of their child's progress. We expect all parents, including those whose children have special educational needs, to be actively involved with their child's learning and we offer a range of parents information meetings to support this.


8. What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

There are  many opportunities for all pupils to be consulted about a range of aspects of school life. This is mainly through pupil discussions and questionnaires that are accessible to all pupils.

9. What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

Refer to the general complaints procedure which is available of the school's website -

If a parent or carer has any concerns or complaints regarding the care or welfare of their child, an appointment can be made by them to speak to the SENCO, who will be able to advise on formal procedures for complaint. 


10. How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The governing body involves other organisations and services in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils via its regualr discussions with the SENCO, its termly Head teachers reports and its support and ratification of the schools' SEN policy.. 

11. How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

At Trent Vale we signpost parents/carers to organisations who can provide additional support to themselves and their child through the termly review meeting, the circulation of information leaflets and conversations with parents/carers. 


12. How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to: i) Join the school/setting?

The SENCO will arrange a transition programme appropriate to the needs of your child. This will begin with a discussion with parents/carers and any supporting agencies to identify the most appropriate route for them to successfully join our school.

ii) Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

The SENCo will liaise closely with parents, preschool settings and other outside agencies to plan an effective transition programme for children entering our Early years Foundation Stage.

Trent Vale Infant and Nursery School is federated with Beeston Rylands Junior School to form The Trent Rylands Federation. As such, both schools work closely together to meet the needs of all children when they are are moving from KS1 to KS2. The SENCOs from both schools will actively involve parents and any supporting agencies to arrange a transition programme appropriate to the needs of each individual child. 

iii) Prepare for adulthood and independent living?

As an early years setting we encourage every child to be independent and achieve their potential so they have the building blocks to prepare them for adult and independent living.

13. Where can I access further information?<

Please visit the schools' website for further information. 

You are also more than welcome to contact the school and arrange a visit to discuss your questions and concerns and see our facilities.

SEN Information Last Updated On: 20/11/2023


Get directions to NG9 1LP Save to shortlistIs this information correct?


Do you need help with childcare costs?

Related Services

  1. Trent Vale Infant and Nursery School - Nursery Provision
Skip back to top of page