Skip to main content

The Queen Elizabeth's Academy

Who to contact

01623 623559
Queen Elizabeth’s Academy

Where to go

Chesterfield Road South
NG19 7AP

Other Details

Local Offer Localoffer flash icon


All DAT academies recognise that a child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for specialist provision to be made for them. The Code of Practice identifies a young person as having a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning that the majority of others of the same age; or
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post 16 institutions


All DAT academies make provision in accordance with the Code of Practice (2014), the SEN and Disability Act (amended 2001), index for inclusion (updated 2001) and the Equality Act (2010). Our SEND policy  and practice aim to reflect these principles.

Special educational needs or disability is identified in terms of cognition and learning, communication and interaction, social, emotional and mental health, and sensory or physical needs. The DAT academies believe that each young person and their parents have a right to be involved in decision making.

All academies are committed to working in partnership with the child, parents, carers and outside agencies to identify needs, provide support and monitor progress.

Contact Name
Jim Dunning
Contact Telephone
01623 623559
Contact Email

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

1. What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

The academy's climate for learning structure ensures that any student who requires additional support receives this through normal timetabled provision. In addition to this, there is a team of experienced Teaching Assistants (TAs) who provide individual and small group support to students.

The academy supports a wide range of special educational needs and disabilities which come under Communication & interaction, sensory or physical, social emotional & mental health or cognition & learning needs.

2. (For mainstream schools & maintained nurseries only) How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

Students with SEND are identified in a number of ways.

To aid with transition at the end of KS2, the SENCO or nominated person will liaise with the Y6 teacher and SENCO to gain relevant information about identified students. They will also attend any review meetings  for students in Y6 with an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP).

The SENCO coordinates the inclusion team and provision for children with special educational needs through liaison with parents, education and health care services, feeder primaries and subject staff.

All students' progress is continually monitored and if students are identified as not making sufficient progress through quality first teaching, then appropriate interventions are implemented through the inclusion team (the SEND policy outlines this in more detail).

If parents are concerned their child has a special educational need they can raise this with their child's tutor or Head of House. They will then discuss these concerns with the SENCO and inclusion team if appropriate.

3.a) How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

SEND support is subject to close scrutiny through SLT and the academy governors. The success of SEND provision may be monitored through:

  • feedback from students/parents/staff
  • consultation evenings
  • parent, student and staff surveys
3.b) How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

The academy has a sophisticated data assessment system in place which records, monitors and predicts outcomes for each individual student. Performance data is collected from staff at various points throughout the year and is reported home to parents/carers.

Parents are welcome to arrange a meeting with a member of staff in the inclusion team to discuss their child's progress and any concerns they may have. They will also have the opportunity to meet with staff at parent's evenings.

3.c) What is the school's approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

In line with the new SEND Code of Practice, the class teacher will provide differentiated learning opportunities which will both challenge and support students.

Every effort will be made to educate students alongside their peers but if a student requires additional support which a class teacher is unable to provide through quality first teaching in the mainstream classroom then additional support may be provided through:

  • TA support within the classroom
  • 1:1 support or small group work in the inclusion department
3.d) How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person's needs?

Within the academy all teachers use a range of teaching styles and resources that aim to meets student's different learning styles and needs.

All staff have access to the inclusion register. This identifies the students that may need reasonable adjustments within the classroom and strategies that  may be relevant to all teaching staff.

3.e) How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

The decision to implement support will be taken by the SENCO, in consultation with the inclusion team and staff involved with individual students. If parents feel that a student needs further support they are welcome to contact the SENCO and discuss appropriate strategies that may be implemented.

3.f) How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

The academy feels that all students should have the opportunity to participate in activities outside the classroom and reasonable adjustments will be made where possible to allow this to happen for all students.

3.g) What support will there be for my child/young person's overall well-being?

Form tutors and House leaders are the first point of contact with regards to a students' well-being but all staff have a duty of care.

If a student has a specific social, emotional or mental health need they will be supported as appropriate. This may be through referrals to external professionals/agencies or to the school counsellor or school health service.

4. (For mainstream schools and maintained nurseries) Who is the school/setting's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.

Jim Dunning

01623 623559

5. a) What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

The SENCO is a fully qualified SENCO who has attained the National SENCO award.

The SENCO or members from the inclusion team attend relevant training on a regular basis to ensure they hold up to date knowledge on high incidence SEND and appropriate supporting strategies.

This information is shared with all staff within school, through regular CPD sessions, to update practice in relation to supporting the needs of individual students.

5.b) What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

A range of agencies and specialist services may be called upon to support the academy with the needs of our students.

These may include:

  • Educational Psychology service
  • School health service
  • Family services
  • Health related education team (HRET)
  • Communication & interaction team (C&I)
  • Primary mental health team
  • Cognition & learning team
7. What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

If a member of staff has concerns about a student, they will discuss these with the inclusion team. Contact will be made with parents to discuss these concerns and appropriate action will be taken.

Parents will be invited to attend parent consultation meetings and for students who are identified on the SEND register, SEND support meetings will be held to discuss students' provision and review the impact of identified provision.

8. What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?


9. What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

The first point of contact for a parent to discuss general concerns would be the House leader. If a parent still has concerns, the SENCO would be the next point of contact, or another member of the leadership team. Parents who are dissatisfied with any provision should put their concerns in writing as per the complaints policy (see website).

10. How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The SENCO/leadership team meet with the governing body regularly and will discuss partnership working with outside agencies/professionals.

11. How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

Alongside the SENCO, the academy has a House and welfare team who have extended experience in signposting parents and students to relevant outside agencies/professionals who may be able to support individuals.

12. How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to: i) Join the school/setting?

The SENCO and members of the inclusion and pastoral teams will visit primary schools during the summer term of Y6 to start the transition process.

All students will take part in transition visits towards the end of the summer term and extra transition support is offered to students, who primaries have identified as vulnerable around transition.

ii) Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

The academy runs a transition programme to support students between KS2-3. This is run in partnership with our primaries and can include:

  • student visits during transition week
  • parental visit (open evening and during transition week)
  • additional visits for students identified as vulnerable at transition

Students are also supported with transition from KS3-4 (supporting option choices) and from KS4-5.

iii) Prepare for adulthood and independent living?

Progression routes are tracked throughout the key stages to ensure appropriate options are taken and for transition from KS4-5. Students with SEND are supported with extra Post 16 provision support.

13. Where can I access further information?

Further information can be accessed through the school website by clicking on the SEND policy or SEND information report.

Jim Dunning


Queen Elizabeth's Academy

150 Chesterfield Road South


NG19 7AP

01623 623559

SEN Information Last Updated On: 31/01/2022

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or: Contact us | Nottinghamshire County Council

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020