Nottinghamshire County Council - Handy Person Adaptation Service (HPAS)
What is the Handy Person Adaptation Service?
The Handy Person Adaptation Service provides the help and support people need to keep safe and secure in their home with high quality essential adaptations and small practical jobs at low cost.
The jobs are to reduce the risk of a fall or help you remain living independently, ranging from fitting door locks and internal grab rails, to help with draught-proofing your home, changing light bulbs and putting up shelves. Often very small jobs such as fixing loose carpets or installing a grab rail can prevent a fall and avoid a lot of unnecessary distress.
All the jobs will be completed by self-employed traders who have been approved by the ‘Buy with Confidence’ vetting service.
Who can apply to use these services?
The service is available to people who live in (excluding the City of Nottingham) who are aged 60 or over, or have a disability.
If you rent from a council or housing association they may provide an adaptation service.
If you rent from a private landlord you will let them know about any adaptations.
How much will I have to pay?
- Handy person jobs
‘Handy person' jobs are small jobs such as fixing curtain rails, putting up shelves or fixing loose carpets or trip hazards. The cost of a handyperson job is £15 which should be given to the trader. You will also need to supply all the materials for the job but if you have difficulty getting what’s needed, you may be able to give the money to the trader so they can buy the materials for you. These prices are subject to change, so please check when requesting a job to confirm the price.
- Adaptation jobs
Adaptations are jobs such as fitting grab rails or stair rails which help you move around your home and stay steady on your feet. If you need an Adaptation and you are eligible for HPAS there is no charge for the Adaptation including materials.
How long does it take to get the work done?
Jobs are usually completed within 5 working days. We will complete jobs within 2 working days if work needs to be carried out to allow you to be discharged from hospital.
Is there a limit to what I can have done?
Yes there are a few restrictions as follows:
- You can receive one or multiple pieces of equipment with each referral that is made. If the adaptation appears more complex or costly than the fitting of grab rails and stair rails then you will be redirected to the Occupational Therapy team, who will assess your needs.
- The service does not extend to gardening, decorating or any job that requires a specialist trader (such as an electrician, plumber or gas fitter). Handyperson jobs are limited to four hours of work.
- The service can only be used once in any three month period unless you need extra adaptations.
How can I apply to get some work done?
To apply for the handy person or adaptation service call Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80. Professionals working with a person can refer online: handy person adaptation service l Nottinghamshire County Council
Record Last Updated On:
- Contact Name
- Anjam Yahya
- Contact Position
- Commissioning Officer
- 0300 500 80 80 0300 500 80 80
- Handy person adaptation service
- Scan to visit this website
Where to go
- NG2 7QP
- View on a map
Time, Costs and Availability
Time / Date Details
- Session Information
8.00 - 18.00 (Monday to Friday)
- Adaptations including materials are free to the service user. The cost of a handy person job is £15 plus the cost of materials.
- Referral Details
You or a family member or carer can phone Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80. This will take you to the Customer Service Centre. or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other notes
Handy Person Adaptation Service (HPAS)