What is the service about?
The Handy Person Adaptation Service provides the help and support people need to keep safe and secure in their home with low cost but high quality essential adaptations and small practical jobs. The service is available to Nottinghamshire residents aged 60 or over, or have a disability and the work is carried out by professional local traders who are part of our approved trader scheme.
Who can apply to use these services?
Nottinghamshire residents (except the City of Nottingham) who are 60 or over, or have a disability.
How much will I have to pay?
Adaptations are jobs such as fitting grab rails and stair rails which help you move around your home and stay steady on your feet.
Handy person jobs are small jobs such as fixing curtain rails, putting up shelves or fixing loose carpets or trip hazards. The cost of a handy person job is £15. You will also need to supply all the materials for the job but if you have difficulty getting what's needed, you may be able to give money to the trader so they can buy materials for you. These prices are subject to change, so please check when requesting a job to confirm the price.
How long does it take to get the work done?
Jobs inside the house are usually completed within 5 working days unless you have been discharged from hospital in which case the job will be completed within 2 working days.
Is there a limit to what I can have done?
Yes there are a few restrictions as follows:
- Adaptations including materials are free to the service user. You can receive one or multiple pieces of equipment with each referral that is made. If the adaptation appears more complex or costly than the fitting of grab rails and stair rails then service users will be redirected to the Occupational Therapy team, who will assess your needs.
- If you rent from a council or housing association they MAY be responsible for any adaptations. Check with your housing provider to see if this is a service that they offer.
- If you rent from a private landlord we need written permission from them before we begin any adaptations.
- The service does not extend to gardening, decorating or any job that requires a specialist trader (such as an electrician, plumber or gas fitter). Handyperson jobs are limited to four hours of work.
- The service can only be used once in any three month period unless you need extra adaptations.
How can I apply to get some work done?
To apply for the handy person or adaptation service call Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80 or email email@example.com