Skip to main content

Annesley Primary and Nursery School

Primary and nursery school for boys and girls aged 3 - 11 years.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Dawn Roberts
Contact Position
Head Teacher
01623 468806
Fax: 01623 468807
01623 468806

Where to go

Annesley Primary and Nursery School
Forest Road
NG17 9BW

Other Details

Local Offer Localoffer flash icon


Annesley Primary and Nursery School

Achieving Together

Our values resonate throughout our school and are represented by the letters in the name of our school bear, Archie.


Archie is…

Ambitious- encouraging children to aspire and to keep trying even when they find something difficult.

Respectful- asking children to treat others how they would like to be treated.

Confident- preparing children to tackle new things with confidence.

Honest- encouraging children to tell the truth.

Independent- promoting independence and encouraging questioning.

Equal- celebrating the difference and individuality of others.


We hope that these values will help to instil a love of learning and want all of our children to ‘Achieve with Archie!’

Contact Name
Emma walker/ Dawn Roberts
Contact Telephone
01623 468806
Contact Email

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

1. What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

We are a mainstream primary school striving to be as inclusive as possible. For all of our children, our staff maintain a level of good (to outstanding) teaching which is regularly monitored by our Senior Leadership Team (SLT). We differentiate as necessary and ensure a good learning environment is maintained. We ensure we have discussions with previous settings/ teachers; support transitions to and from new schools and are regularly in conversation with parents/ guardians.

For children with special education needs we go above and beyond this and use personalised strategies eg. Behaviour charts, small group interventions, individualised support plans, specific assessment tools and if necessary we liaise with external agencies and professionals in the required field. We value and welcome difference and individuality and are committed to inclusion and removing barriers to learning and participation.


2. (For mainstream schools & maintained nurseries only) How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

We work with families to help identify pupils who we feel may need extra support to progress in any of the following areas:

  • Cognition and learning (C&L)
  • Communication and interaction (C&I)
  • Social, Emotional, Mental Health (SEMH)
  • Physical (P)

Class Concern

At Annesley, we believe that children make best progress with quality first teaching. As part of quality first teaching, recognising when children are not making expected progress and providing small/group or 1:1 interventions to bridge the gap is fundamental.

If this is not providing adequate means of progress then movement through our graduated support may take place.

School Concern

Following discussions with the SENDCO, the child may be placed on the school concern register. The SENDCO will then support the class teacher in gathering information and will help to co-ordinate the child’s educational provision. The SENDCO may attend parent’s evenings and/or arrange a time to meet with parents/guardians to identify any issues that may be apparent and together develop actions that need to take place in order to support progress being made.

If this level of support does not enable progress then the child may require significant adjustment to the curriculum and support in school and so, will be put on our school support register.

School Support

If the child did not make adequate progress while being monitored on the school concern register, they may be put on the school support register. From here, the SENDCO may request additional support from outside agencies. The schools’ SENDCO regularly meets with SENDCO’s from our Family of schools to discuss funding and different issues in relation to children with Special Educational Needs. In addition to this, we also meet at Springboard meetings where local authority resources are allocated.

3.a) How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

The SENDCO has regular meetings with class teachers to discuss the movement of children within the schools’ Special Education Needs system. We discuss and review the effectiveness of the strategies and interventions that have been implemented and adapt or change them accordingly. Children on the school concern and school support registers are assessed with assessment tools that are appropriate for their level and their progress is monitored closely. Children’s personalised plans (pupil passports) and provision maps are updated termly and the registers themselves are working documents. Children can be added or removed from either the school concern or school support register as necessary.

3.b) How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

We monitor the progress of all of our children closely using the appropriate assessment tools for their level. Parents are informed of any areas where their child may need additional support. If requested, teachers will supply parents with advice and/or appropriate resources to support their learning at home. Our SENDCO and Child and Family Support Worker are available for meetings and/or drop in sessions where views/concerns can be expressed and support can be requested, discussed and administered. Parents whose children are on the school support register will have meetings with their child’s class teacher to discuss their child’s pupil passport and/or provision map. The SENDCO may also attend these meeting depending on the child’s level of need. Where external agencies are involved, parents may be invited in for meetings to discuss how their child is getting on and what more we can do to support them at school.

3.c) What is the school's approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

Quality First Teaching (QFT) is an entitlement for all children. However, for children on the School Concern or School Support Registers, staff will go above and beyond QFT to meet their needs. Staff will:

  • Plan appropriately and differentiate accordingly with all children and their interests and needs in mind
  • Provide  resources to assist or enable learning and/or adapt resources as necessary (e.g. large print for visual impairment)
  • Use technology to assist individual learning
  • Consider how much time is needed for different children to complete tasks and allocate time appropriately
  • Plan for and implement interventions on a small group or one to one basis
  • Use appropriate assessment tools, use a small steps approach and set targets/next steps (Portage, B-Squared, Pivots, P Scales)
  • Involve and enlist the support of parents and/or external agencies
3.d) How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person's needs?

The curriculum can be adapted and differentiated in a variety of ways:

  • Task- by providing different tasks or adapting tasks to match ability and need as appropriate
  • Resources- by providing different resources to support or enable children to access a specific task
  • Outcome- through the expectation of the end result
  • Support- through an adult working with an individual or group of children as appropriate to their ability and need

Children with more complex SEN will either work on the curriculum that is appropriate for the level they are working at or have a personalised curriculum.

3.e) How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Support is decided upon and allocated to children based on their level of need, in discussions with parents/guardians, the class teacher, the school SENDCO and the Head Teacher. Our school budget includes money for supporting children with SEN. If this money is not adequate and school is not meeting a child’s needs, we will request funding from our Family Budget. In the most complex cases, we may request Higher Level Funding from the Local Authority. Requests are considered by a multi-agency panel who will determine whether the level and complexity of need meets the threshold for Higher Level Funding.

3.f) How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Every effort is made to ensure that activities and visits are available and accessible to all; irrespective of special educational or medical needs. When planning educational visits, great effort is made to find venues that are both suitable and accessible and that enable the whole group to participate fully and be actively involved.

3.g) What support will there be for my child/young person's overall well-being?

We promote good emotional wellbeing by encouraging and supporting children to:

  • Connect with others- to build positive relationships and to talk about how they are feeling
  • Be active- we now take part in the ‘Daily Mile’ which boosts childrens’ energy and mood
  • Enjoy learning- to boost confidence and have fun

We identify early behaviour changes and any signs of distress and where possible activate early intervention. Our child and family support worker, Sarah Weaver, works with any children who need social, emotional and/or mental health support offering a variety of clubs/workshops/interventions that include:

  • SEN Emotion intervention
  • ELSA
  • Self-esteem interventions
  • Anger intervention
  • Lego therapy
  • Friendship and Social Skills intervention
  • Busy bees intervention (KS2 SEN Friendship and social skills)
  • Listening intervention
  • Bereavement and loss
  • Anxiety intervention (A Huge bag of Worries)

When necessary we will make referrals to external agencies. We understand that the social and emotional skills, knowledge and behaviours that young people learn in our school can help them to build resilience and set the pattern for how they will manage their mental health throughout their lives.

4. (For mainstream schools and maintained nurseries) Who is the school/setting's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.

Our school SENDCO is Miss Emma Walker.

Annesley Primary and Nursery School, Forest Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, NG17 9BW. Tel. 01623 468806  OR

5. a) What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

We aim to keep all school staff up to date with relevant training and developments in teaching practice in relation to the needs of children with SEN.

Our school operates the following training programmes:

  • Whole school training sessions – through INSET,
  • Teachers are trained at staff meetings,
  • Individuals access training through Schools Behaviour and Attendance Partnership (SBAP),
  • Nottinghamshire Local Authority training,
  • Together as One Collaboration training within the local schools.
5.b) What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

We actively encourage support from external agencies in order to secure specialist expertise to support children. Emma Walker (SENDCO), Sarah Weaver (Child and Family Support Worker) and Dawn Roberts (Head Teacher) make referrals to agencies using the appropriate application processes. All referrals to agencies are made with the agreement and consent of parents, with the exception of Social Care referrals where the safety of the child may be compromised.

Outside agencies may include:

  • School and Family Support Service

→        Educational Psychology Service
→        Communication and Interaction Team
→        Cognition and Learning Team
→        Physical Disability Support Service

  • Early Years Inclusion Team
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • School Health Team, including School Nurse
  • Local Health Authority including Paediatricians and GPs
  • Social Care
  • Teachers of the Visually Impaired
  • Teachers of the Deaf
  • Family Care
  • CAMHs
  • SBAP
6. How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?

The school has a few steps to, from the school hall, and into the foundation unit. We have a lift to make these areas accessible for everyone. We also have a disabled toilet. If any additional resources, equipment or facilities are required, we will use existing funding for the child or we will request additional funding to purchase them or to make any further amendments to the school.

7. What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

Parents are kept up to date with their child’s progress through termly meetings. If for any reason, contact needs to be made more regularly the class teacher/ SENDCO will arrange this. Informal chats often happen at the beginning/ end of each day and parents/guardians are encouraged to come in to discuss any concerns as and when necessary.

8. What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

We value the views and opinions of all of our children and encourage them to take an active role in their learning. We ensure to involve children at every opportunity that we deem appropriate.

9. What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

We take complaints very seriously. We encourage children and their parents/guardians to talk to us as soon as they have a concern, and this usually helps to alleviate any issues. Parents can also contact the Parent Partnership Service ( which gives impartial advice to families of children with SEN. Alternatively you may put your complaint in writing to the Head Teacher or to the governors as is consistent with the complaints policy. For more details please refer to the complaints policy on our school website.

10. How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The governors actively encourage contact with outside agencies through the Nottinghamshire guidance and relevant referral system. The SENDCO usually makes referrals and requests involvement from other organisations and services and reports directly to the Senior Leadership Team.


11. How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

The first point of contact would be the child’s class teacher, which may lead to consultation with the SENDCO. The school has the contact details of a range of organisations and services who can provide additional support to parents/guardians/young people.

12. How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to: i) Join the school/setting?

We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting when they will meet their teacher. They will also be shown around the school. For children with SEND we may encourage further visits to assist with the acclimatisation of the new surroundings. We would also be keen to visit them in their current school.

ii) Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

When moving into a new class children will have two transition visits where they will go to their new classroom and meet their new teacher. Staff will also have transition meetings where they will discuss their current class with their new teacher. If there are any children who need extra visits or support with the transition it will be arranged. The transition from Year 6 to secondary school is a bigger leap and the Year 6 team do lots of work with their class preparing them for the move. For children with additional needs, the Secondary’s SENDCO or Senior Teaching Assistants also come into school to have a discussion with the child’s current class teacher and if appropriate, the SENDCO. Additional transition arrangements can also be made on an individual basis.

iii) Prepare for adulthood and independent living?



13. Where can I access further information?

School website:


Local Offer Updated: 19/06/2018

SEN Information Last Updated On: 19/06/2018

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020