Skip to main content

Financial and legal advice

Browse advice, information and local services by category

Financial Support

Nottinghamshire County Council Finacial support for residnets and community groups information page. Information about financial support for Nottinghamshire residents and community groups who are most in need 

Citizen's Advice

Provides free impartial and confidential information and advice on a number of issues including benefits, work, debt and money, consumer rights, housing, laws and rights, discrimination, tax, healthcare and education.

Direct Payments Support Services

Many people may require support to take on and manage a direct payment. You can receive support from a Direct Payment Support Service. These are organisations that can provide help in various ways. They can set up a bank account in your name, and manage all the money going into and coming out of the account. If you employ people they can set up payroll and organise tax and national insurance. They can also help you recruit personal assistants, produce a contract of employment, do risk assessments, sort out annual leave, redundancy and holiday pay. The nature and the cost of any support you might need to manage the direct payment will be agreed with your worker and included in your support plan. The costs associated with direct payment support service will be included in the direct payment.

Power of Attorney

A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets you (the ‘donor’) appoint one or more people (known as ‘attorneys’) to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf. This gives you more control over what happens to you if you have an accident or an illness and can’t make your own decisions (you ‘lack mental capacity’).  You can arrange a lasting power of attorney here for £82 which will save you money (and avoid high solicitors fees).  

Personal Budgets and Self Directed Support

A personal budget is an amount of money that will meet your care and support needs. We will offer you a personal budget if your care and support assessment says you are eligible for support.

Most people, although not all, need to pay something towards their personal budget.

You can have your personal budget in three different ways:

Direct payment - this is a cash payment we give you so you can buy the support you need yourself. A direct payment gives you most flexibility and control over your support. You also have more responsibility for arranging your support.

Managed personal budget - we will arrange the services that meet your support needs for you. A managed personal budget is less flexible than a direct payment but you have less responsibility to arrange your support.

Mixed personal budget - you can arrange part of your support yourself using a direct payment and get us to arrange the rest using a managed personal budget.

Welfare Benefits

Welfare benefits are paid by Government departments to support citizens who are unable to work by virtue  of age, disability or caring . It is essential to ensure that you and anyone you are caring for are receiving their full entitlement to state benefits as these enable the recipient to pay for costs related to their situation.

You can receive benefits for a number of reasons including if you:

  • have a long term illness or disability
  • care for someone
  • are unemployed or work part-time
  • are having a baby
  • have a disabled child
  • are over pension age.

Winter Fuel Payments

The Winter Fuel Payment is a tax free payment to help older people keep warm during winter. It is provided by the government to those who are eligible. 

VAT Exemption

People with disabilities do not have to pay VAT on equipment that has been designed solely for them, or which has been adapted for their use. They will also not be charged VAT on certain services, including building work to adapt their home. For more information see 'External Links'.

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or: Contact us | Nottinghamshire County Council

Follow Us @NottsCC



What's On

  • Hope Lea Project Ltd - Hucknall view
  • St John Ambulance - Retford HQ view
  • Langold Agewell view
  • Trent Valley Agricultural Preservation Society view
  • Calverton Miners Welfare Colts NDFF view
Show all...
Back to top What's Missing? Powered by Idox © 2020