In September 2014 the government made a lot of changes to the way that children and young people aged 0 to 25, with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (or SEND for short) are supported. This included making Local Authorities produce a 'Local Offer'. The Local Offer brings together useful information across education, health and social care within one website where you can find information, advice and guidance and a range of provider services listed who support children and young people with SEND.
What is the SEND Local Offer?
The Local Offer brings together helpful and useful information for children and young people with SEND, from birth to 25 years, and their families. The information is contained within this website, which will enable you to search for services and provision within your own community and Nottinghamshire as a whole. This will cover public services that are available within:
- Education: e.g. nurseries, playgroups, schools and colleges as well as support services like educational psychologists, early years and early intervention workers.
- Health: e.g. GPs, school nurses, therapists and mental health support.
- Social care: e.g. respite services and children’s disability services.
It will also enable you to find out what support and services are available in the voluntary and private sectors, for example from charities and disability groups.
As well as containing many records of different services, the Local Offer is a really useful source of information, advice and guidance. For example, on Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans, support for special educational needs in schools and transitions.
If you would like information about short breaks or to apply for a short break for your child or young person you will have to go through the short breaks page on the Local Offer site.
For further information you can read the Local Offer leaflet or by clicking on the icon below:
You can access the SEND Local Offer in the following ways:
- The SEND Local Offer can be accessed through smart phones, tablets and laptops/desktops. Just type 'Notts Local Offer' in to a search engine such as Google or type www.nottinghamshire.sendlocaloffer.org.uk in to your web browser.
- The County Council’s Customer Services Team will be able to provide details of the information contained within the SEND Local Offer to those without easy access to the internet.
- Staff in Nottinghamshire’s Libraries can offer support to access the Local Offer on a public computer. Just pop in to your local library or telephone: 01623 677 200 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are seven instructional films on the Local Offer homepage, which provide advice and guidance on using the Local Offer site including an accessibility video. This video contains details of features that enable accessibility to the Local Offer for those with hearing and sight impairment and where English may not be the first language.
There are tools available on the SEND Local Offer, which will enable you to adapt the website to your specific needs. For further information you can read the Local Offer accessibility guidance or by clicking on the icon below:
You can search for information on the SEND Local Offer in the following ways:
You can search the site by typing in to the search bar at the top of the page. For example, if you are looking for 'swimming clubs' you can type this in to the search bar and also add you place name or postcode then click on the search button and it will bring up a list of relevant provider services. You can then click in to the individual records of those providers for further information on what they offer.
There are six tiles on the home that look like apps:
- Health and Social Care
- Developing Indepdence, Employment and Training
- Getting Around
- Things to Do
- Short Breaks
Just click in to any one of these tiles to find out relevant information relating to that category. You will find sub-categories within these tiles with relevant information and listings for provider services.
You can narrow down search results by clicking in to the filters. There are a number of different filters, which can be ticked either individually or in combination. These include searching by:
- age range
- post code
- type of need
For further information you can watch the Local Offer how to search video, which explains this in more detail.
The SEND Local Offer is intended for you and should be shaped by you. There are various ways that you feedback on your experience of the Local Offer and also on provider services that you have accessed:
- If you have comments or feedback you want to give us on what is or isn’t included then please e-mail us at email@example.com
- As well as telling us how we can improve the content of the SEND Local Offer, we also want to know how easy you find the site to navigate and search; what you did like, what weren’t you so keen on? You can do this by accessing ‘take the survey’ on the home page of the website.
- If you notice something is missing off the website or there is a service in your area that is not registered on the Local Offer then please use the 'What's Missing' link on the home page to let us know about this.
- The site also features a ‘rate and review’ facility. This is intended to work like ‘Trip Adviser’ and enables you to give star ratings and provide comment/feedback on specific services or provision that you or your family have accessed. You will need to sign in and register to be able to leave a review. You can find a 'sign in to write a review' link at the bottom of all provider records.
For further information you can watch the Local Offer feedback video, which explains this in more detail.
You Said, We Did
The SEND Local Offer is and will continue to be a ‘work-in-progress’. We will continue to modify, expand and develop our offer in response to the feedback we receive from you and as we become aware of other services and provision, which need to be included. The 'You Said, We Did' section of the Local Offer provides details on how the site is being developed in response to feedback that is received. For further information on how we work together with parents/carers, children and young people to produce services please find further information on our Co-production and Strategic Developments page.
Nottinghamshire's Local Offer
To find out more about Nottinghamshire's Local Offer you can read the SEND Local Offer leaflet.
Council for Disabled Children Video
Watch the Council for Disabled Children (CDC) video, which provides information about what a Local Offer is.
The Department for Education has produced a Guide for Parents/Carers to the new reforms which are changing the ways in which children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities are supported.
Children and Young People's Guides
The Department for Education has produced a Guide for Young People to the Children and Families Act 2014, which is changing the ways in which children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities are supported.
The Council for Disabled Children have produced Children and Young Person's Guides to the SEND Reforms.
Mencap have published an Easy Read Guide to the changes for children and young people.
Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspect local areas together to see how effectively they fulfil their responsibilities for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities, which includes the Local Offer. Nottinghamshire was last inspected in June 2016. You can find out more on the Government website.