Financial and legal advice | Nottinghamshire Help Yourself Skip to main content

Citizen's Advice

Provides free impartial and confidential information and advice on a number of issues including benefits, work, debt and money, consumer rights, housing, laws and rights, discrimination, tax, healthcare and education.

Direct Payments Support Services

Many people may require support to take on and manage a direct payment. You can receive support from a Direct Payment Support Service. These are organisations that can provide help in various ways. They can set up a bank account in your name, and manage all the money going into and coming out of the account. If you employ people they can set up payroll and organise tax and national insurance. They can also help you recruit personal assistants, produce a contract of employment, do risk assessments, sort out annual leave, redundancy and holiday pay. The nature and the cost of any support you might need to manage the direct payment will be agreed with your worker and included in your support plan. The costs associated with direct payment support service will be included in the direct payment.

NCC Accredited Direct Payment Support Services

If you are in receipt of a Direct Payment through Nottinghamshire County Council and are looking to set up a third party account with a Directed Payment Support Service you need to use one of the accredited providers. Click here to view the accredited Direct Payment Support services contact details.

Energy Saving Advice

This area includes information around saving energy and organisations that can assist you with this.

Financial Advice and Debt Management

Information on independent financial advice and debt management services.


This area includes information on insurance service providers including those who specialise in cover for the over 50's and those with long term medical conditions.

Legal Advice, Information and Local Services

This section contains information and advice around legal issues that may affect you.  This includes Advance Decisions to Refuse Treatment, the Equality Act and the Mental Capacity Act.  It also contains information on legal services that are available locally. These include will writing services and solicitors with specialist knowledge in particular areas such as the Mental Capacity Act and working with people with Autism.

Power of Attorney

A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets you (the ‘donor’) appoint one or more people (known as ‘attorneys’) to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf. This gives you more control over what happens to you if you have an accident or an illness and can’t make your own decisions (you ‘lack mental capacity’).  You can arrange a lasting power of attorney here for £82 which will save you money (and avoid high solicitors fees).  

Money Saving Tips

This section includes money saving advice.

Pension Advice

Information around pensions including contact details for chasing pensions or making new pension claims.

Personal Budgets and Self Directed Support

A personal budget is an amount of money that will meet your care and support needs. We will offer you a personal budget if your care and support assessment says you are eligible for support.

Most people, although not all, need to pay something towards their personal budget.

You can have your personal budget in three different ways:

Direct payment - this is a cash payment we give you so you can buy the support you need yourself. A direct payment gives you most flexibility and control over your support. You also have more responsibility for arranging your support.

Managed personal budget - we will arrange the services that meet your support needs for you. A managed personal budget is less flexible than a direct payment but you have less responsibility to arrange your support.

Mixed personal budget - you can arrange part of your support yourself using a direct payment and get us to arrange the rest using a managed personal budget.

Welfare Benefits

Welfare benefits are paid by Government departments to support citizens who are unable to work by virtue  of age, disability or caring . It is essential to ensure that you and anyone you are caring for are receiving their full entitlement to state benefits as these enable the recipient to pay for costs related to their situation.

You can receive benefits for a number of reasons including if you:

  • have a long term illness or disability
  • care for someone
  • are unemployed or work part-time
  • are having a baby
  • have a disabled child
  • are over pension age.

Winter Fuel Payments

The Winter Fuel Payment is a tax free payment to help older people keep warm during winter. It is provided by the government to those who are eligible. 

VAT Exemption

People with disabilities do not have to pay VAT on equipment that has been designed solely for them, or which has been adapted for their use. They will also not be charged VAT on certain services, including building work to adapt their home. For more information see 'External Links'.

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC

  • 30 more Nottinghamshire teachers now trained to give them the confidence to better manage incidents of sexting in s…
    Tue Jun 27 19:30:42 BST 2017
  • New initiative has welfare of armed forces in mind. Specialist training helps to spot the symptoms of mental illnes…
    Tue Jun 27 15:55:10 BST 2017
  • Have you visited the Brooke Farm shop at Linby? We need your feedback to help us to make improvements to our servic…
    Tue Jun 27 14:48:58 BST 2017



What's On

  • Bingham Advice Service view
Show all...
Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited